1. Choose from the familiar list of BBC News indexes such as Business, Technology, Entertainment and Health, or search for your own subjects of interest, whether they’re people, places, things or themes.
2. The app can suggest topics based on stories you’ve recently viewed and what’s in the news now.
3. Stories from topics you add will appear in your personalised My News feed.
4. If you choose to receive push notifications, a unique identifier relating to your device will be stored by Airship on behalf of the BBC to provide you with the service.
Personalise your news offering with My News
Add topics wherever you see the + icon for a quick route straight to the stories you care about.
Stories from topics you add will appear in your personalised My News feed. Here you can order stories by topic or time to stay on top of the news of the day. Topics can be added, removed or re-ordered using the Edit function.
Find content fast
The app can suggest topics based on stories you’ve recently viewed and what’s in the news now.
And you can quickly find topics that interest you using the Search tab. Choose from the familiar list of BBC News indexes such as Business, Technology, Entertainment and Health, or search for your own subjects of interest, whether they’re people, places, things or themes.
More of the news you care about
We offer a full selection of stories from the newsroom, and many ways to read the best journalism from BBC correspondents, including:
- Popular - keep on top of the most read stories and most watched videos from across the BBC
- Video - One-minute World News summary and the latest video stories
- Live - BBC World Service Radio. Expertise and insight from our journalists available 24-hours a day and ready to listen to in the background as you browse
- Push notifications for important news stories
- Video over cellular and wifi
- Improved offline experience. Download the latest stories when you have a signal and then read them at your leisure
- Viewing modes. On iPhone see more stories per index by choosing ‘Compact layout’ from the Settings screen
- Settings to allow the app to automatically update in the background
- Share stories to your social networks, or email/SMS to a friend
- Support for dynamic text. Articles in the app will respect the font size in your device settings so you can increase or decrease the story text size as suits your preference
- Related stories, related topics. Go deeper into a storyline with suggestions for further reading and viewing and a range of topics related to each story
If you choose to receive push notifications, a unique identifier relating to your device will be stored by Airship on behalf of the BBC to provide you with the service.
You can choose to unsubscribe from push notifications from BBC News in your device’s ‘Notifications’ screen.
No other personal data relating to you (such as a username or email address) is processed.
Great app but has an annoying feature
Great quality news with customized news feeds. As an expat in the USA it’s good to get more worldly news. But it has a small yet annoying thing. When you are reading an article and go back to the news listing you are sent back to the top of list. This is annoying as you have to then scroll all the way back to where you were. I’ve used many other news app and none have this and returns you to the place you were before. Not major but wish they would fix it
A welcome break from US Media...
Like all sources of News, it has its god and bad but then again that’s just what makes news what it is.......I do prefer fact oriented news which saves the writers opinion for the OPINION PAGES and I firmly believe that it is a Editor’s Duty to enforce such a policy, however today’s Media Outlets are more interested in getting a story out rather than fact checking. This condition runs rampart in the US and continues to cause great to grief. In general, folks want factual news and not ACOSTA TYPE BIAS.......whether it be directed at the Left or the Right.
Good app, could be better
Tons of other reviews have touched on the pros and cons of this app, so I’ll skip right to my peeve. When I’m in an article and I swipe left to right, I want to go back to the list of articles (headlines), not the previous article in the list! I didn’t tap that article because I didn’t want to read it. I don’t want to have to tap the tiny little back arrow in the top left corner. I WANT TO SWIPE. This is a stupid design. Going article to article right to left, fine. But get me out of article hell left to right.