1. With more than 2 million trusted definitions and synonyms, the Dictionary.com English dictionary and thesaurus app for iPhone is optimized with your mobile device in mind to help you learn English or improve your English vocabulary.
With more than 2 million trusted definitions and synonyms, the Dictionary.com English dictionary and thesaurus app for iPhone is optimized with your mobile device in mind to help you learn English or improve your English vocabulary. It even works offline!
Install the offline dictionary for access to definitions and synonyms whenever and wherever you need them — no bulky books necessary.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this education app includes:
- Word Puzzle – Can you score a perfect 10? Unscramble the letters, and find the words!
- Word of the Day – Learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary education
- Synonyms — Get thesaurus content alongside your dictionary definitions
- Audio pronunciations – Never mispronounce another word
- Voice search – Find the definitions you’re looking for anywhere, anytime
- Wordplay — Improve your vocabulary with fun quizzes
- Grammar help - Get grammar tips, word usage, and more
- Favorite words and search history - Customize your recently searched word list, and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English spelling help - Not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you.
- Learner’s dictionary - Includes extra information about word usage for English learners
- Optimized for Apple Watch!
Get even more from your app with our Upgrades:
- Example Sentences
- Idioms and Phrases
- Medical, Science, Rhyming Dictionaries
- Offline Dictionary + Remove ads
Or you can get all of this additional content and remove ads for one low price with our Pro App.
Dictionary of the day is awesome!
Dictionary of the day is an effective and fun way to easily increase your vocabulary or remind you of words that might have slipped your mind over the years or for that moment when you are distracted and do not want to wake up slapping your forehead at 3AM. Also, one of the biggest benefits is that I am usually able to sneak in at least 3-5 other new/remembered words after reading the daily one. This is why I initially got the app. However, after now using this Dictionary app every day over the course of years; I have found it to be helpful, efficient, easy to use and can be fun and diverting. The reasonable price is the cost of an high calorie, high cholesterol, fattening and unhealthy CappaFrappaAnywayYouLikeItCino and once you enjoy that drink it will be gone forever. But this wonderful Dictionary/Thesaurus with all of it’s content will be with you forever. Considering other options that I have personally used; such as MW, et. al., I most highly recommend this app.
Love it. Use it daily
I began using this app a couple years ago to help my son expand his vocabulary. Soon after, I was using the thesaurus for myself on a regular basis when drafting anything from professional letters to simple emails to friends! The thesaurus is my favorite. I also use the dictionary occasionally when I'm not sure if I'm using a particular word appropriately in a sentence. I love this app. I also used it to help a friend draft a resume that was very professional. (Yes, she got the job!) I should also mention the speed of this app. I can find a synonym or definition in a matter of seconds. Again, I LOVE this app. Now, if someone could come up with an app to help us learn to use punctuation correctly, I would use that everyday as well.
A wonderful tool for elementary students too.
My daughter uses this app almost everyday as a companion to reading her novels. She oftentimes comes across words she is unfamiliar with. The dictionary app provides a quick way to access words while she still holds onto her book. We also did homework together last night and the thesaurus feature was wonderfully designed so that one can search antonyms and synonyms while effortlessly switching back to the definition of the original words and newly found words. Lastly, this is a "must purchase" app. You'll experience the app best by having no interruptions. This is important especially if you want a child to use it to build vocabulary while reading independently.